Have you noticed the titles of our local mainstream films lately? You Changed My Life, You to Me are Everything, Miss You Like Crazy, I’ll be There, Paano na Kaya, Nandito Ako,Babe I Love You, Close to You, A Very Special Love, Let the Love Begin. Ahhh so boring and cheesy, right?. I am an avid fan of the local movie industry but honestly, I can’t help but look down on this crappy idea. Filmakers today seem to have run out of artistic ideas or maybe they just don’t want to think of better titles anymore. Arggh..
The title is as important as the plot, the cast and the trailer of a film. A catchy title can already make a movie on its own. Directors, production companies, actors, screenwriters, and directors must all have some say when choosing a movie title. It should be something that register in the audiences’ conscious. A good storywith a bad title is a bad movie, well I guess.
Star Cinema’s One More Chance (2007) starring John lloyd Cruz and Bea Alonzo was a commercial and citical success. Every part of it falls in place save for the title. Star Cinema could have picked a more profound title.
It was in 1930’s when the formative cinema of Philippines started so there are probably thousands of movie titles that exist at present. It was a tough job, but here I have collected some of the catchiest titles I have known. There are certainly a lot more so feel free to leave comments if you know some that should be part of the list.
- Diligin Mo ng Hamog ang Uhaw na Lupa (1975) Joseph Estrada, Gloria Diaz
- Patikim ng Pinya (1996) Rosanna Roces
- Gatas sa Dibdib ng Kaaway (2001) Mylene Dizon, Jomari Yllana
- Bata Bata Paano Ka Ginawa? (1998) Vilma Santos
- Nagalit ang Buwan sa Haba ng Gabi (1983) Janice de Belen
- Kapag ang palay naging Bigas, May Bumayo (2002) Lara Morena, Rose Valencia
- Tag-ulan Noon, Ang Bukid ay Basa (1999) Allona Amor
- Ang Pagdadalaga ni Maximo Oliveros (2005) Nathan Lopez, Soliman Cruz, JR Valentin.
- Babae sa Bubungang Lata (1998) Aya Medel
- Ika-11 Utos ng Diyos: Mahalin Mo, Asawa Mo (1994) Aiko Melendez, Zsa Zsa Padilla, Maricel Laxa
- Curacha ang Babaeng Walang Pahinga (1998) Rosanna Roces
- Gaano Kadalas ang Minsan (1982) Vilma Santos, Hilda Koronel
- Babangon Ako’t Dudurugin Kita (1989) Sharon Cuneta, Christopher de Leon
- Tininmbang Ka Ngunit kulang (1974) Christopher De Leon, Hilda Koronel, Lolita Rodriguez and Eddie Garcia.
- Ang Pinakamagandang Hayop sa Balat ng Lupa (1974) Gloria Diaz
- Ang Tanging Ina (2003) Ai-Ai delas Alas
- Ang Babeng Hinugot sa Aking Tadyang (1981) Eddie Rodriguez and Vivian Velez
- Masakip, Mainit: Paraisong Parisukat (2002) Joyce Jimenez, Jay Manalo
- Patayin Mo sa Sindak si Barbara (1974) Susan Roces
- Hinugot sa Langit (1985) Maricel Soriano, Charito Solis